Originally from Japan, this Potato pizza is a mouth watering vegetarian pizza that’s easy to make.
Baked with care, this pizza enjoys a lush taste, coupled with a utopian smell.
Always ensure you get high quality toppings and pair these with a delicious crust for you to enjoy a delicious homemade pizza feast.
If you have a taste for Vegetarian pizzas with White sauce this pizza may be what you have been searching for.
Pizza in Japan
Pizza is very popular throughout Japan, and they offer the classic flavours, as well as a number of Japanese takes on pizza. Popularity grew in the 1970’s, when family-oriented Pizza chain restaurants spread across Japan.
Take a look at some of the other pizzas from Japan here.
Potato Pizza Recipe
Below we’ve put together a recipe for you to make your own homemade Potato Pizza using a wood oven or your typical kitchen oven.
Potato Pizza Ingredients
Ensure you have enough pizza toppings for the amount of pizzas you plan to make. The pizza sauce and dough ingredients below are designed for 3-4 pizzas, so scale up or down, based on your requirements.
Simple Pizza dough
- 7 grams (2 tsps) dried yeast
- 250 ml (1 cup) lukewarm water
- 400 g (2 2/3 cups) plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 1/4 cup (3 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
Potato Pizza Toppings
Toppings used in this pizza recipe, are;
- Garlic Pepper
Simple White Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter (unsalted)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Want to try a different sauce? See our article on the different types of pizza sauces.
You can click on any of the tags at the bottom of this page, to find other pizzas besides Potato Pizza, that use that topping.
Pizza Dough Method
If you don’t have much time, grab a premade pizza base at your local grocery store, or hand make your own pizza dough following the simple steps below. Some shops even carry premade pizza dough in balls.
- Whisk yeast and lukewarm water in a jug. Stand for around five minutes.
- Add the salt and flour in a large bowl. Create a hollow centre in the flour. Slowly pour the liquid yeast mixture and oil.
- Using your hands or spatula, gently combine the flour mixture until smooth. Then turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and hand knead for roughly five minutes.
- Place the dough mixture in to an oiled bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Leave in a warm place until the dough has at least risen to double in size.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Hand knead gently for five minutes until reasonably smooth.
- Sprinkle some flour on work surface before rolling out dough to prevent any sticking.
- Divide dough mix into equal amounts, now roll out the bases to the desired size.
TIP: We have other dough recipes if you would like to try your hand at sourdough, poolish or more.
Simple White Pizza Sauce Method
You can make this delicious pizza sauce following the simple steps below, or you can purchase a pizza sauce at your local store.
- Use a small saucepan over medium heat, and melt butter. Whisk in flour, then continue whisking for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, keep whisking constantly until thickened and smooth.
- Add garlic, pepper and salt whilst slowly whisking.
- Slowly add parmesan cheese and whisk for 30 seconds more. Take off heat and continue whisking until parmesan is melted and sauce becomes smooth. Now, set aside to cool.
- Don’t boil after adding the cheese or the sauce could curdle. Once it is cool, use immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 5 days.
By not heating these sauce ingredients, you give this simple pizza sauce a very fresh taste.
Preparing Potato Pizza
Switch oven on to at least 450 degrees and preheat for at least 30 minutes.
Stretch out dough into a circle, on a floured surface.
If you are using a pizza steel or stone, make sure it is preheating in oven.
Now it’s time to add the sauce. This recipe calls for White Sauce. Spread the White Sauce around the pizza base, leaving a gap at edges.
Add your ingredients in size, from the largest to smallest.
Cheese should be sprinkled on at the end.
Toppings for this pizza are;
- Garlic Pepper
This pizza is tasty by itself, yet why not with another style of pizza?
Put the Potato pizza in the middle of your oven (on a stone if you have one) and set timer for 10 minutes.
In 10 minutes, open oven door and check.
The pizza should take roughly 15 minutes to cook, adjust time to cook to personal taste.
Parmesan is a translation of the Italian words, Parmigiano-Reggiano. The two terms refer to the same cheese. Often referred to as the “King of Cheeses”, Parmesan is an Italian hard, granular cheese produced from cows’ milk, which is then Aged for at least 12 months.
Parmesan was praised as far back as 1348 in the writings of famous Italian writer, Boccaccio, in his works, the Decameron. October 27 is designated the International “Parmigiano Reggiano Day” by The Consortium of Parmigiano Reggiano.
When making Potato Pizza, I always recommend that you use what you have available, without spending lots of money. My basic pizza tool list is…
A pizza peel aka paddle is a crucial tool for those who are making pizza often.
The one kitchen tool every adult should have in their drawer. See our article on how to cut pizza for the various cutting tools.
Yes, I know, many people swear by hand stretching, however there’s times in all our lives where we need a good wooden roller.
Cream cheese is a soft, mild-tasting fresh cheese made from milk and Cream. It is meant to be consumed fresh, Cream cheese is not naturally matured, so it differs from other soft cheeses such as Brie and Neufchâtel.
It is comparable in taste and production methods to Mascarpone and Boursin. Whether it’s in sweet, savoury, keto or healthy dishes, Cream cheese is one versatile ingredient.
These are all true, believe me!
Celebrate everything cheese pizza
Did you know the US celebrates National Cheese Pizza Day, every 5th of September.
A couple of dollars
As a whole, US pizza restaurants sold US$45.6 billion worth of the good stuff in 2021. That was actually less than the US$46.24 billion the year before.
Most expensive pizza sold at an online auction
The “Pizza Royale 2007”, created by Domenico Crolla (UK/Italy) for the premiere of Casino Royale (2007), was auctioned off for charity on eBay to an Italian lawyer for a record £2,150 US$3,321.
Pizza making FAQ
Want to know how to make fantastic pizza at home? Here are some FAQ and their answers to the most common pizza making questions.
When did pizza delivery start?
The first ever recorded pizza delivery occurred in 1889, when Queen Margherita of Savoy fell ill after eating rotten food in Naples. The Queen and her husband, King Umberto I of Italy, were hungry and requested that authentic Italian pizza be sent to them.
How to eat pizza with acid reflux?
Try eating low fat pizza, and reduce the amount of cheese and tomato sauce; the two worst culprits for acid reflux in a pizza.
How long to air fry pizza?
You can air fry a pizza in around 7-8 minutes, if your air fryer can cook at 380 degrees.
Have you made Potato Pizza?
Featured image: Source